Monday, December 10, 2007

Tis the Season

...for freezing off all fingers and toes while displaying your pension for cursing in front of the neighbors. Ok, so it wasn't that bad. It was cold though. Isn't it nice? I can't decide if it's good enough the way it is or if I should add lights around the windows on the second floor. It seems like I decked out the porch, but disregarded the fact that there's a second floor at all. I would like to put lights up along the top roof line, but without a taller ladder (than 6 feet) I'm pretty much out of luck. I could pretty easily throw another string of lights to circle the upstairs windows to draw some more attention up. Yay? Nay? Why do I really care? I don't know.

I finished my studio project on Friday and had my critique. How did it go? Hmm... well I've had better. One critic in particular really laced into the project and repeated his problems with my project again, and again, and again. This was so frustrating because I knew that I screwed these things up, acknowledged this, and he still kept talking about it. The worst part about it was that I could have done much better. AND the project was about PRESERVATION!!! That's what I want to do with my career and I go and blow the project. My problem was that I was worried too much about preserving the original structure and didn't think enough about how it would function today. A learning experience I guess.

One final on Wednesday, then the winter break is mine to get some work done on this shanty! Goals for the break you ask? Here's the list:

* repair walls in living room, dining room, stairwell
* paint walls in living room, dining room, can you guess? yeah, stairwell.
* repair ceilings in living room, dining room
* pain ceilings in living room, dining room
* finish repairing, then install storm windows flanking chimney
* get dryer repaired
* install doorknob on NW bedroom door (sorry roomie! I'm sure he's been waiting)
* paint upstairs doors and trim
* buy snowblower

There are a couple of other things I'd like to do, but I don't think I'll have time. We'll see. I'm excited to get the walls done because my roommate's an art major and has a whole bunch of paintings to hang up. I'm planning on getting a tree tomorrow. My roommate's throwing a Christmas party on Wednesday, so I'm thinking a tree's in order. Oh, and some cleaning. Lots of cleaning!

No comments: